Friday, February 27, 2009

Feckless Friday

We have spent another week cruising the Southwestern styled mini-Mc Retirement mansions of Sun Lakes on our bikes. Vicki goes to the "Y" for exercise classes and I work on our pathetic little stock trading account. (Now down 37% YTD) (Aren't I the the frigging Wall Street Wiz?) After the market closes (at 2:00 pm our time) we head out to bike for an hour.

Anyway........ While riding this week on a street in our old neighborhood I noticed a sign clothes pinned to a chair in a previous acquaintance's front yard. My wife and I had spoken with the couple during the time we lived in our old home, but we had never gotten to know them. When we passed by the first time I barely had time to read the sign completely, so I turned and went back.

The sign read: "WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP AMERICA BECOME A GREAT COUNTRY AGAIN?" About this time the old gentleman came out and we talked for a moment. He said he'd made a smaller sign and framed it. To prove this he went into his home and came back with a framed sign with the same saying. I told him that I appreciated the sentiment and was impressed that he had printed and displayed it. At that point the old man started to break down and I excused myself and said goodbye. I was moved by his passion and strength of feeling.

I wonder how many of us have taken the initiative to stop whining about how bad things seem and start thinking about what we can do to make things better. It sorta sounds like the old 60s quote: "If you're not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem."

It speaks to me about all the folks who are gloom and dooming us to death these days. Wouldn't it be nice to hear more from people with solutions?

What do you think?

RT

No comments: