Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Memorial Day 2017

I put our flag out this morning and took it down just before dark. That's what the flag regulations say you should do unless you have a way to light the flag at night. Not a lot of folks know this, but my father in law was an ex-marine and a stickler for rules, so I learned this years ago.

I thought some today about my experience during Viet Nam. I was lucky that I didn't lose any close friends. The two buddies with whom I joined the Marines both had very close calls, but made it back OK. The closest I came was when a 122 MM rocket went overhead and landed in the Quag (a name we used for a funky stream that went through our hut area) about a hundred feet down the stream. 

I did think that we should also remember the innocents killed in our wars as well. These poor folks did nothing wrong except be in the wrong place at the wrong time. All of the countries involved in wars past and present end up killing civilians as well as combatants. They deserve some thought and memories as well.

That's part of our problems in the middle east now. We don't get how much hatred we have created toward our country and the west in general. Don't get me wrong, there is no excuse for what the the terrorists do, it is truly inexcusable. We just need to be more aware that our policies and actions have consequences. We will never be able to kill all our enemies, so what should we do? I hope someone someday will find the answer. Until then we will continue to fill our memories with loved ones lost in conflict and need Memorial Day all the more.

Most of Americans today probably spent the Holiday in some form of recreation. I admit that I did barbecue a chicken breast on the patio. Maybe I am going too deep on the implications of our Memorial Day Holiday. It's the price you pay for being thoughtful about our society and country. Trouble is, the older and sicker I get the more I think about things like this. 

Sorry to get so dark. On a brighter note, I have a picture of some innocents that came by our house today and spent some time in our backyard. Here you go.


It's a Momma Mallard and 4 little ducklings. She bedded down for a while under one of our Orange trees. The next time we looked she and her ducklings were gone. We did our best to leave her alone while she visited and even researched animal rescue sites if she stayed the night and was there the next morning.

I always have a soft spot for the underdog or in this case the underduck.

Have a great rest of the week,

RT

No comments: