Saturday, January 20, 2018

Wednesday's Appointments

So.... I met with my oncologist and my pulmonary doctor on Wednesday. My first appointment was with the oncologist. He suggested 3 options including stopping treatment altogether. I chose another clinical trial. I just wanted to get my lung issued taken care of first. We left if like that till I met with pulmonary doctor at my next appointment.

The pulmonary doc was great, but I got a not so good surprise. After x-rays and some other tests it was determined that my Pleurex catheter was clogged and I still had fluid in my lungs causing shortness of breath. They managed to get me scheduled the same day for removing the catheter (which I really wanted out). I had been draining every 4 days and getting nothing, so it had to go.

The procedure to remove the catheter is done without anesthetic, just topical numbing like at the dentist office. It is a little freaky because they literally yank the thing out of you, no kidding. It doesn't really hurt, but when that thing comes flying out of you it's a little troubling.

All went well and we were home by 4 PM. We started at 9 AM so it was a long tiring day at the hospital. I am always impressed with the way Mayo operates. The doctor went out of his way and rescheduled his day to accommodate me and get it done in one trip. I am very appreciative of that and told him so.

I did tease him a little bit though, referring to myself as his patient zero since he had been dealing with me since 9:40 in the morning and we were just getting out of the operating room at 3. That's a long time for a doctor to spend with one patient.

The bad news in all this is that I still have fluid compressing my lung. We'll see what happens next. In the meantime I should start on the clinical trial in the next week or two.

That's it for now.

Here's this weeks contribution to my "New Normal".


Explanations

Explain to me again why you’re leaving 
she asked with a curious sigh
I can be happy with only you
If that’s what it takes to get by

No, my own desires and faithlessness
match your whims for sexual play
I can’t keep up with the roster
of who’s on who today

It’s nice that they find you attractive
and experienced and oh so sly
If ever your talent for business wanes
as a courtesan you’d get by

And I the trailer park gigolo
hoping from bed to bed
a sad little cheating jerk of a man
lucky now not to be dead

We sated our passion time and again
experimented with oils and scents
came together like snakes and wolves
then slunk out the back through the fence

I wanted romance and mad passion too
yet it turned out so cheap in the end
without some trust and kindness there
it’s not in the cards to be friends

We’re left just with scars and bruises
both on our bodies and minds
nothing explains how we got this way
I didn’t pick up on the signs

So yea, I guess I’m leaving
Better gone than standing here
with the shame of disappointment

betrayal, lies and fear

No comments: